|Click here for our pages in progress||1913-1921||War Dead|
History of Castleknock College
The history of Castleknock College Dublin dates back over one hundred and seventy years, when in 1830, a year after the passing of Catholic Emancipation, four young priests from Maynooth College obtained permission to open a day school under the patronage of the Archbishop of Dublin. So successful was the school that by 1835, St. Vincent's Boarding school was opened, catering for just 47 boys. Castleknock College's position at the forefront of Irish Catholic education was affirmed on 22nd April 1900, when Queen Victoria and her royal party visited the College.
Over the past 170 years the College has evolved through additional building, refurbishment and the provision of state of the art facilities, to become one of the most fully-equipped College's in Ireland, at the forefront of modern education.
In 1986, it became apparent the a more formal structure of management was needed, and a governing body was set up consisting of men and women, all of whom are prominent in the professions, politics and the church. Meeting on a quarterly basis, the Governing Body is linked to the main College staff through a system of committees in such areas as Finance, Building and Education. Since the establishment of the Governing Body, Castleknock College Dublin has entered a new era; one that promises a future that will be worthy of the College's distinguished past.
In 1987, in line with many leading boarding schools in the U.K. and on the Continent, the College welcomed day pupils for the first time. The integration proved particularly fruitful, and brought a new dynamism to Castleknock. Among other benefits it provided for easy transition to boarding for some 5th and 6th year day students attracted by the more structured regime and the facility of study bedrooms in preparation for Leaving Certificate exams.
In June 2006 Castleknock College took the final step towards becoming an All-Day School when it bade farewell to its final group of boarders. The buildings which formerly housed the accommodation for the boarding students have been extensively refurbished and now provide extra classrooms. Facilities
Historical Events linked with the College
Fionn Mac Cumhall and Castleknock College (by Mr. Colm O'Gaora)
The association of Fionn with the area that encompasses the College lies in the story of his father Cumhall’s death. The Fianna were organised in clan, or family groups. The two leading clans being Clann Baoiscne, the family of Cumhall, and Clann Morna lead by the hero Goll. This rivalry reached its climax when Goll challenged Cumhall for the leadership and the rival clans met in battle at Cnucha. Goll slew his rival and assumed the leadership. This caused those who were Fionns’ guardians to send him into hiding for fear of Goll’s vengeance. It was while Fionn was in hiding that he famously burnt his thumb while cooking the salmon of knowledge, and thus gained the gift of foreknowledge. Fionn rarely used this gift as it necessitated his biting his thumb down to the bone, causing, him great pain.